Sunday, July 26, 2009

Gathering of the Vibes 2009 part 2

Gathering of the Vibes 2009 part 2
by Lauren Traub Teton

Saturday night at GOV was possibly the best Saturday night EVER!!! It was the best In my 4 years of going based on music, weather, audience, and general VIBE! Friday night's noodly improve performances on the main stage were replaced by the Levon Helm Band's drum-tight performance where every note was in place, but many old Band favorites were freshly arranged and sounding superb. This perfomance reminds me it is time to watch one of the greatest music concert movies of all time again - "The Last Waltz."

Bob Weir and Ratdog totally surprised me. I have seen them many times and if last night turned out to be a show that didn't inspire me or the weather turned nasty, I was planning to slip out of the concert early and make for my bed and some needed catch-up sleep. Well, it was getting LIGHT when I finally got home, so I think that proves that this was one of the best Ratdog shows I ever experienced. The set kicked ass from start to finish, with the proper blend of dancin' tunes and spacey ones. The show finished up with "One More Saturday Night" and the crowd went wild. Light stick fireworks "went off." It's pretty to see huge handfuls of light sticks fly through the air, and you'll see it in the video. Just explain to me me how that fits into the heavy ecolgoy and recycling vibe of this show?

The weather was PERFECT in the 70s all night as we made our way to the 1:30 a.m. late show of Perpetual Groove on the Green Vibes Stage. It's the same venue where the Lettuce show was last night. You had to have a "Camping" ticket to go to the Green Vibes stage in the campground. Security runs like a well-oiled machine at this year's event and wristbands were checked at the gate to the campground. I had never heard Perpetual Groove, but being a dancer, how could I resist seeing a group with a name like that? I was not dispappointed as the dance scene raved and raged inside and outside the big white tent.

People slowly meandered back to their campsites at the end of this EPIC Saturday night at Gathering of the Vibes 2009.
More to come, and VIDEO whenI I have time to edit. Now going back to see Grace Potter and the Nocturnals at 2:30,

No comments: